

ASSOCIATION FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE PERSON-CENTERED APPROACH

Minutes of Annual Business Meeting

June 20, 21 and 22, 2013

Notes:

1. The first time a person's name is mentioned, both first and last names are given. The next time(s) that person is mentioned, only the first name is given.
2. Decisions and action items are highlighted in **bold face**.

First Meeting: Thursday, June 20, 2013

ADPCA President Caroline Baretta convened and facilitated the meeting. A list of agenda items was generated

Web Committee report – Laura Taylor
Renaissance – Jin Wu
Awards Committee – Rob Richardson
ADPCA – 2013
ADPCA – 2014 – Caroline Baretta
ADPCA 2015 – Bruce Allen
Secretary's Report – Howie Kirschenbaum
Secretary Election
Treasurer's Report- Bert Rice
Journal – Bruce Allen

ADPCA – 2014

Caroline distributed a report from the ADPCA-2014 conference committee (Exhibit A). The conference will be held Wednesday-Sunday, July 2-6, 2014 at Nottingham University in the UK. Other details are in the report. Caroline read the part about requesting scholarship money from ADPCA so scholarships can be awarded ahead of time, not at least minute, and people can make travel plans.

Jin: In the past, seed money has not been for scholarships.

Bert: This doesn't need to be discussed. The Treasurer provides seed money; organizers can decide how to use it.

Howie: The organizer has to decide how much risk to take. Is the seed money request designed to minimize risk?

Yoko Allen: It will probably be profitable. So they should be able to award scholarships.

Bert: It's not really seed money.

Howie: Would an expression of support for scholarships be helpful, e.g., "Yes, give scholarships. It will work out"?

Jo Hamilton: No, they want "some funds in advance", i.e., real money.

Rob: We gave whatever scholarships were asked.

Howie: Should we table and ask Sue what she means?

Grace Klein (committee member): She doesn't mean travel money.

Bruce: Let's table it.

Jin: I'll contact her.

Bert: Ask how much money and when it's needed. It's tricky and costly to transfer money to the UK. (Some of our providers, e.g., for the website, have been in UK.)

Rob: We didn't get seed money for scholarships. But there was an attitude of giving.

Bert: It hasn't been universally true that everyone who wanted a scholarship got one.

Website Report

Laura: I sent out website report on listserve (Exhibit B). I have some copies to give out here. Please read and we'll discuss it at next business meeting.

Treasurer's Report

Bert presented a Treasurer's report (Exhibit C). The provisional income statement through June 14 shows transfers out (seed money) for the 2013 conference, but doesn't yet show the income from the conference. There will probably be an actual decrease of reserves for the year of about \$2000, with a balance sheet of over \$60,000

Howie: Did conference make or lose money in 2012?

Rob and Bert exchanged comments on this and agreed that the conference lost a bit, under \$2000.

Jeff Leonardi: Question for future: Do future organizers understand seed money to be a donation or a loan?

Bert: Whether the conference made or lost a little isn't critical. We have the money

Yoko: We should have a complete set of journals that belong to the organization

Kathy: Let's make this an agenda item: do we have a full set in hard copy or scanned?

(This item was placed on the agenda.)

Bert: Needs to ask again question he asked last year—what to do with all our funds. How much should be kept in liquid assets? For non-liquid assets, what recommendations do members have for investing the money?

Jo: It's good to have PayPal for paying dues.

Bert: It's been useful to members.

Bruce: Let's make the investment agenda a separate item.

Jin: Her suggestion for investment is: Add up the entire expenses of last year; add a percentage to that; keep that amount as liquid, and invest the rest.

(Investment was added to agenda)

Yoko: What about income taxes?

Bert: We don't have to pay income taxes since we're tax exempt, and he files a tax return form each year.

Thanks were expressed to Bert for his excellent work.

Secretary's Report

Howie presented a Secretary's report (Exhibit D). Membership has continued to increase slowly. At the end of the membership year, we're up to 250 members, up from 100 four years ago and the highest in many years (15-20?). As of the conference, membership renewals are looking good. Domestic (North America) vs. international distribution is about the same, although there's likely to be an increase in international members due to the conference in UK next year. Supporting and Regular members are steady. The increase this year was mostly attributable to Student members.

Howie: A bit fewer scholarships, but I always tells people that scholarships are available, so don't let financial difficulty stop you for staying with the organization.

Bruce: What accounts for increase in journal subscriptions [7 to 9 to 11 to 13]? Systematic outreach?

Howie: Possibly some members (e.g., journal editors Demanchick and Jordan, Howie) asking their universities to subscribe. Librarians are very willing, as our institutional rate for our journal is way less than most professional journals.

Patrick Howley: Do you know the percentage of students who are members and the percentage of those who are client-centered or person-centered therapists?

Howie: Bruce might know better about how our members practice because he did a study about our membership. About 25% of our members are students. I've started to see some Student Members become Regular Members after graduating, which is very encouraging. Training programs ask students to join some professional organizations. (Laura: "And we are cheap!") Yes, we are cheap.

Bert: Two years ago in Chicago some people really pushed for student members.

Howie: I've asked Student Members their institutions, programs and dates of graduation. Maybe it's good info for research or analysis.

New Secretary

Howie: As I indicated previously on the listserve, now I'm ready to step down as secretary. Can't report that anybody wrote to me to say "I'll definitely do it". I had conversations with a couple of people who might consider doing it, but I don't want to speak for them. So at this point I'll be quiet.

Yoko: I want to thank you for managing the membership for the last [four] years. You really did it well.

Bert: I appreciate your stewardship of our organization.

Howie: Thanks, but it wasn't just me. He mentioned all the other volunteers who have contributed to ADPCA's renaissance.

After some silence and no apparent volunteers...

Yoko: Treasurer and Secretary go well together.

Bert: I don't want to secretary.

Bruce: Bring it up at community meeting.

Howie: Let's grapple with it a little longer now. Did I scare people off by saying it takes me 3-4 hours a week? We could divide the role between membership and the other organizational duties of secretary, such as minutes and official business.

Sarah Solis: I'll help with the membership part .

Bruce: Does the secretary have to be present in the UK?

Howie: It's not necessary.

Bert: Not necessary. Desirable, but not necessary.

Sarah: I was thinking more of a co-secretary role, but I'd like to think about it more.

Ed Kahn: What does the job involve?

Howie explained:

Ed: I'll think about it.

Kathy: Job is possibly done differently by others; for example, the minutes don't have to be so detailed.

Agreed to table decision to next meeting and give Howie time to go over more details about the job with Sarah and Ed.

ADPCA – 2015

Bruce: We have no site for 2015 meeting. So please think about it. We should make a decision before we leave here. We haven't always done that, but it's good not to cut it too close.

Jin: If we can't find a site during this conference, should we consider forming a committee to deliberately work on finding a site?

Bruce: Let's try to make it work. Then find fall back position if necessary. I'll make a pitch to the community meeting tonight.

Jin: I'll email the list serve.

Renaissance Report

Jin distributed a report on the newsletter *Renaissance* (Exhibit E).

Jin: The latest issue was just emailed. Hard copies are on the way. We hope to publish three issues next year, but there may only be two, especially as both editors are relocating. **Send submissions for this next issue by mid-July.**

Yoko: Maybe we could include in the newsletter short synopses of new members who join ADPCA.

Someone: The newsletter is another good venue for getting info to and soliciting info from members.

Thanks to Jin, Susan and committee.

Jin: Susan's not here but she's been so conscientious, responsible and efficient.

Grace: I really appreciated how you handled the newsletter issue around Armin [her late husband and longtime ADPCA member] and working with me on that.

Awards Committee

Rob: We haven't met since we were created last year [at the Savannah conference], but awards have to come from the community. We're here to serve.

Howie: That's guaranteed not to go anywhere. Committee needs to take some leadership.

Grace: Summarized the discussion about awards in at Rochester conference [a proposal for financial awards and recognition for graduate student research].

Rob: This is different. This is for members who feel the need for an award or want to give an award, so initiative has to come from the community.

Stella Osemwegie: That's kind of loose.

Rob: It's meant to help people in academics or other areas.

Laura: Wasn't it that if someone needed or wanted an award or recognition or wanted to give an award to someone else, then they could ask the committee for the award? Then the committee would discuss it and work with it and bring the award proposal to the community?

Kathy: That's what it is; no need for something more structured than that.

Howie: I apologize, Rob. I forgot that's what we said last year.

Ed: I think we should give Laura Venture [who assisted Caroline and Ivonne as conference coordinator] an award – e.g. \$100 and a certificate – for her service to the conference this year.

Kathy: We shouldn't pay volunteers.

Rob: A recognition award is different

Laura: I purchased thank you gifts for some folks who helped with the Savannah conference. We have a precedent for that.

Carolyn: When you do that you have to give every committee member a gift.

Bruce: ADPCA members who volunteer shouldn't get gifts, etc. It feels different for others.

Stella: Thinking through awards should take place before the conference.

Howie: Agreed. Think about it ahead of time; give the proposal to the awards committee; the committee discusses it and make a recommendation to community.

Jeff: Not sure if this fits here, but I'd like to see a contemporary DVD with people who are still developing the person-centered approach. Are there funds available for something like this? I'd like to get some feedback on this. [This was added to the agenda.]

Second Meeting: Friday, June 21 , 2013

Journal

Bruce: The recent *Journal* issue was wonderful. But I'm concerned that Steve and Rachel aren't here at conference to get feedback on journal. I don't know them. It feels funny not to have them here.

Yoko: Would it have been better if they sent a report?

Bruce: It would have been better to have asked for some feedback on the journal to show they are interested in what members think about it.

Kathy: There was also an issue of keeping an archive of old journals.

Laura: Website committee report says we hope to have them on line by the end of the year.

Kathy: I'll follow up and try to see that we have a hard copy of each issue available.

Yoko: We need to have a hard copy of each somewhere.

Sarah: Can they be donated to a library?

Marj Witty: When Barbara died, I got hold of a whole bunch of then; not sure if it's a complete set. I gave some to Illinois School of Professional Psychology. So I've got access to some if we need them. We should also have *Person-Centered Review* in any archive.

Jo: It's important to me, too, but perhaps less so if we have PDF copies on the website.

Kathy gave several reasons why website copies aren't sufficient, why we should also have a hard copy of each issue.

Bruce: I wish we had a central place for other materials as well.

Laura: Let Kathy pursue it.

Howie Are we comfortable with having Kathy pursue this? If she comes up with a proposal she can float it on the listserve and/or at the next annual meeting.

After further discussion this was what was decided.

Website Committee - continued

Laura had sent Tiane Graziottin's and the committee's report to the listserve and given copies yesterday for people to read. The committee wants members' feedback on the Facebook issue. They would like to have others on their committee who are familiar with social media. They'd like to experiment with social media for fostering discussions (which didn't work on the website forum, so that was cancelled) and for getting the word about the PCA out to the world.

Sarah talked about how a Facebook page might work and be useful in getting some person-centered information out to the world.

Laura: Our Twitter account was put up to do some of this, and a decision was made to start to use it to communicate what was happening at the conference this year.

Rachel Hamilton: You need to have someone running it who has a good sense of what image of the PCA to get out to the world. I could show someone how to set up and manage a Facebook page, but someone involved in the PCA needs to lead the posting of content.

Laura: Do we want our Facebook page to include open discussion that's like a community meeting? Is that the best way to convey what PCA is?

Kathy: If it becomes an active chat room, do we want to have to facilitate a 24-hour chat room?

Sarah: People on the forum will respond to out of line comments. You can also have someone authorized to take comments off the site.

Laura: Dilemma: We want to try Facebook, but we don't exactly know what we're doing. Chicken and egg—which comes first? Can we get started and learn as we go?

Sarah and Rachel: We would be able to help a more experienced member get going, but we aren't the ones to administer it.

Caroline: You need an administrator—someone to monitor it.

Kathy: Would like Sarah and Rachel to volunteer to be on website committee and would like us to authorize the website committee to exercise their own judgment as to whether to implement the first level in implementing a facebook page [e.g., posting things that people can "like"] and based on experiment with first level go on to a second level [e.g., inviting responses] and so on, checking in with larger membership as they feel it's appropriate.

Howie seconded Kathy's motion

Jin and Rob: Agree

Bruce: Does anyone not want to do that?

No disagreement.

Rachel: If someone was concerned, they could become an administrator and could do their best to establish a flavor.

A few misgivings about how it might or might not work were voiced.

Bert: The main philosophical question hasn't been answered. It can look like a community group, but there's not people together in the room to moderate people's behavior. Is that what we want or do we want something else? It's potentially volatile. Not saying we shouldn't go ahead but has concerns as we go forward.

Sarah: There is give and take on Facebook, so people will moderate one another's behavior.

Jo: Facebook page should have some links to go deeper.

Howie: These will be the issues and questions the committee will be grappling with.

Secretary - continued

Sarah: I'm interested in being membership secretary, but not a lot of secretarial paperwork.

Howie read duties of secretary in the by-laws, which included "keeping minutes".

Kathy: *Keeping* minutes doesn't mean *taking* the minutes. That can be delegated

Sarah: Clear she doesn't want the secretarial part.

There was a discussion of whether the Secretary position could be split between an organizational secretary (to do the minutes, keep the records of the organization, and do occasional organizational business) and a membership secretary (which is >90% of the job)

Bruce: Main issue is not what we call it and whether it's consistent with by-laws or not, but who's going to do what.

Yoko: I'll do the organizational secretary role—keep minutes (delegate taking minutes), keep archives, official correspondence.

Laura: **Moved we elect Yoko as secretary and Sarah as membership coordinator**

Bruce: seconded.

Bert at first opposed this because he thinks the secretary who is doing most of the work, i.e., membership, should have the title of secretary. But when Sarah said she actually preferred the title of membership coordinator, Bert withdrew his objection.

Jo: Let's pass by acclamation. Done. Applause.

Third Meeting: Saturday, June 22, 2013

HK: Send me your reports for minutes
Treasurer investments

Thank you's 2015 2014-jimn
2013 re-optional
DVD jeff
Fuller archives